There’s just something a little special about frying up your own golden Homemade Corn Dogs.
Well, compared to buying them in the freezer section. That’s not putting the love into it, now is it?
For one reason, homemade style corn dogs go beyond the expectations of your corn dog taste buds… indulged with the decadent taste of a crispy batter-dipped hot dog!
If you’re wanting to switch up your corn dog makings…
As in, switching from plopping frozen sticks onto a rusty cookie sheet into a forever-to-heat oven and going off to play a few rounds of Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare and to only find out you’ve played for way too long and your frozen corn dogs are now burnt to a whole new level of crispness but you eat them anyways because that’s all you have to eat. (Yes, I’m talking to the bachelor that has recently left the nest.)
Well, if you’re used to that kind of taste… be careful, these Homemade Corn Dogs will blow. your. mind.
It’s really nothing fancy or to make a fuss about. But, really. These are pretty amazing.
Besides getting to pick your favorite hot dogs for this simple recipe, you’ll love how (your favorite) hot dogs hug around a tangy buttermilk batter with a whole lot of cornmeal crunch!
Go ahead, eat these deep-fried golden pillows with or without a skewer stick thingy… foot longs or minis… sauce dunked OR just savor the taste of the drenched hot dog by themselves.
Either way, you’re going to love deep-frying (and eating) these homemade corn dogs!
If you’ve got some extra hot dogs left, think about maybe smothering them with Sloppy Joes and creamy garlicky cheese sauce!
(Cheesy Sloppy Dogs… a great weeknight meal!)
Or you could wrap your hot dogs up…
(Baked Corn Tortillas Cheese Dogs… enough said!)
Here’s the recipe for these delicious Homemade Corn Dogs! It makes enough for the whole family. Cut the hot dogs into halves before dunking them in the decadent buttermilk batter and you’ll have enough for a crowd. Perfect for snack-size bites!
- 8 to 10 of your favorite hot dogs
- wooden skewers (optional)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup (all-purpose) flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon golden ground flaxseed meal (totally optional!)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Wipe off any moisture from hot dogs and set aside. Cutting them in half or putting sticks in the hot dogs are optional. (If not poking sticks in them, use tongs to get them out of the hot oil.)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and paprika. In a liquid measuring cup, combine buttermilk and egg together. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir until all combined. Do not over mix the batter. Allow to rest for about 5 minutes.
- Preheat about 4 1/2 inches of oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. (Leave another 4 inches from the top of the saucepan with the oil. This allows room for the frying and it won't spill over.)
- Drench each hot dog into the batter and drip off any excess. Gently place into the heated oil until golden brown. Turn and rotate with a slotted spoon or tongs, if needed. Only do a few at a time and do not over crowd the oil. Take out of the oil and place on paper towels to drain excess oil.
Psss… I’m sharing my Homemade Corn Dogs recipe with these link parties… come join me!
This recipe was recently featured with Throwback Thursday!