It’s perfectly seasoned Sloppy Joes meets hot dogs nestled in warm toasty buns. Drizzle the creamy garlicky cheese sauce over the tops and you have yourself delicious Cheesy Sloppy Dogs!
Did you ever grow up with the classic Sloppy Joes?
My guys have gone through their obsessive stages of the classic sandwich for years.
But to be very honest, Sloppy Joes has been on the back burner at my house for quite some time.
My very best friend and I were going through menu ideas with each other. Because that’s what moms do while kiddos are running around us, right? Hmmm, wonder if my husband discusses dinner ideas with his friends… highly doubt it!
Anyways, my darling BFF mentioned how her sweet daughters absolutely LOVE Sloppy Joes Night at her house.
This sparked a bright, shiny light bulb under my blondness. I thought, why not I attempt this Sloppy Joes Night for my guys! But, I’ve got to switch it up a bit. Or they’ll be putting this classic sandwich back on the back burner.
I wanted to know what her secret homemade recipe was that made her girls look forward to this specific dinner night. She gave me the jest of ingredients and I went home to make some for the guys. It’s been a hit ever since!
Of course I put a spin on the round-about recipe with my own touches. A little bit of this and that.
I include what my boys love and would eat on any given day: hot dogs and especially, cheese sauce!
We’ve had just the typical shredded cheese sprinkled on top, melted. But seriously. Slathering this garlicky cheese sauce on top of the Sloppy Dog will make you smile a whole lot more!
Here’s the simple run down on how to make these very tasty Cheesy Sloppy Dogs.
While the hot dogs are in the oven, boiling in water, or sizzling on the grill… start browning the ground beef in a skillet. You may also substitute for turkey or chicken.
After the ground meat is browned, stir in the tomato sauce, chopped onions, and minced garlic.
Then start adding the rest of the ingredients and spices to the mixture.
Let it simmer for 10-20 minutes. It all depends on how busy OR how hungry you are.
You could make this ahead of time and let it set in the slow cooker on low until it’s time to serve. It’s also a hit with a crowd! Double or even triple the recipe.
In the meantime while the meat mixture is simmering, make the cheesy-licious garlicky cheese sauce. It comes together within minutes!
Whisk together the heavy whipping cream, cream cheese, and seasonings in a sauce pan over medium to low heat. You want to keep attending this pan, as to not burn the bottom. Add the cheese when the cream cheese has melted. Set the cheese sauce aside and start assembling your Cheesy Sloppy Dogs!
- 1 pound ground beef, turkey, or chicken
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 medium red/purple onion, chopped
- 1 garlic bulb (all the cloves!), minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (1 3/8 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon hot curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 6-8 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- pepper, to taste (no salt needed, as the onion soup mix and beef broth has salt)
- 8 hot dogs, cooked
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups sliced, or shredded cheddar cheese (Muenster, gouda, or pepper jack cheese is really tasty, too!)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley (or use fresh)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet on medium heat, brown the ground meat. Stir in the tomato sauce, chopped onions, minced garlic. Add beef broth, dry soup mix, paprika, hot curry powder, chili powder, brown sugar, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer for 10-20 minutes on low, uncovered.
- Whisk together heavy whipping cream, cream cheese, and seasonings in a sauce pan over medium to low heat. Continue to stir until cream cheese has melted. Add your favorite cheese. When cheese has melted, take off the heat and set aside.
- To assemble, place cooked hot dogs inside warm hot dog buns. Put the meat mixture on top of the hot dogs. Pour on the creamy cheese sauce and serve!
- Makes 8.
Make this for your next Sloppy Joes Night, my friends!
Here’s another fun way to dress your hot dogs:
Here’s also one of my favorite sides to serve up with hot dogs:
I”m sharing my Cheesy Sloppy Dogs with these link parties!