A bowl of creamy comfort.
Tender chunks of red potatoes and briny clams is only a bit of what makes this Creamy Clam Chowder delicate and mild. It’s accented by bits of leeks, celery, garlic and onions.
My favorite part about making this creamy goodness is that it takes less than an hour to prepare and serve it up in your favorite bowl. That’s even counting all the prep time of cutting the potatoes and veggies AND not to mention, letting the pot simmer!
Let me take you through the easy steps to making this your creamy comfort in a bowl.
Putting this all together is fast and simple!
Have all of the red potatoes, celery, red onions, a leek and garlic cloves ready to go. Set aside as you get the pot ready with the creamy base of this clam chowder.
Melt butter on medium-low heat and add flour.
Whisk the flour and butter together.
Sprinkle the dried thyme, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder into the flour and butter mixture.
Whisk the seasoned mixture for a few minutes on medium-low. This allows the dried thyme and pepper to really burst out its flavors. It also helps cook out the flour taste.
Whisk and slowly pour in the heavy whipping cream and half & half into the seasoned butter mixture.
Congratulations, you just mad a roux (“roo”)! It’s the thickening agent for this decadent clam chowder. It will begin to thicken as it heats.
Immediately add the cut potatoes and veggies you put off to the side earlier. Also add the clams. I love to use boiled baby clams in the red can. Fast and easy… and delicious!
Stir in a spoonful of chicken bouillon. (I love to use Better Than Bouillon brand. They also have a clam bouillon, but this chicken flavor really blends well with the cream and gives it a great taste!)
Stir and combine it all together. Pop in a few bay leaves while you’re at it.
Turn the heat up a notch… to medium. You’ve gotta let it simmer into perfection! Otherwise, you’ll scorch the bottom of your pot. And you wouldn’t want to do that.
As soon as the potatoes are tender (which don’t take long at all!), the chowder is ready to serve. I told you this was easy!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 pint half & half*
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 leek, diced
- 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and diced
- 4 medium to large sized red potatoes, diced
- 3 10 ounce cans boiled baby clams (the red can), drained
- 2 tablespoons chicken (or clam) bouillon
- 3 dried bay leaves
- Dice the red onion, leek, celery stalks, garlic cloves and potatoes. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan on medium-low heat, melt butter and whisk in flour. Sprinkle in dried thyme, onion powder, garlic powder and pepper. Whisk and combine for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add and whisk the heavy whipping cream and half & half into the seasoned butter and flour mixture.
- Add the diced red onion, leek, celery stalks, garlic cloves, potatoes and drained clams.
- Stir in a spoonful of chicken bouillon and add the dried bay leaves.
- Turn heat up to medium to allow clam chowder to simmer while stirring occasionally. Ready to serve when potatoes are tender. Enjoy!
- *Half & half is equal amounts of whole milk and cream. You may substitute 1 cup of whole milk and 1 cup of heavy whipping cream.
- By cutting all of your vegetables the same (small) size, will result in even cooking and fast cooking time.
- Makes 9 cups of chowder and serves 4-6 people.
With the nippy weather upon some of us, I hope you enjoy this simple and delicious creamy clam chowder!
Below is my guys’ other favorite cozy in a bowl…
Cheese and pasta lover?? You’re going to love this Tortellini Cheddar Cheese Soup!
A bowl of warm soup always deserves some kind of bread to sop up what your spoon didn’t catch…
You are going to fall in love with these Garlic Parmesan Dinner Rolls… these are the best with any meal!
My Life In Sweden says
What an amazingly delicious recipe! And those photos look so yummy! Love it!
Thank you for sharing and have a great Sunday! 🙂
My Life In Sweden recently posted…Halloween Safety Suggestions for Dog Owners – World Wide Giveaway!