Soft cookies to the rescue!
If you’re a lover of soft and chewy PEANUT BUTTER cookies, you’ve come to the right place.
I’ve been on a long journey, in the kitchen… let’s not exaggerate and make it seem like I’ve overexerted myself in a marathon or something. Geesh. A journey of baking cookies. It’s maybe a little bit obsessive once I start thinking about my actions of sitting on the kitchen rug with my face inches away from the oven window, watching cookies bake! Yep, the cookie marathon.
Well, there’s so much into perfecting a cookie recipe. And, with it being peanut butter cookies (my most fave), in my little world, they have to be soft and chewy. Do you agree? Or are you the crunchy cookie lover? I’ve had the peanut butter cookies that are crispy and yet very crumbly. I don’t like to admit this with my outside voice, but I simply can’t resist those either… any cookie for that matter… we’re getting off subject. Let’s focus on the secret to getting soft and chewy peanut butter cookies.
Well, the recipe is below and they’re super duper easy NOT to mess up. The only secret is to NOT overbake these peanut butter cookies. Set the cookies out and let them rest ON the hot cookie sheet. At this point, the cookies may look like they aren’t done baking all the way through. But when you allow the cookies to do their thing on the hot sheet OUT of the oven, the sheet will slowly cool and finish baking the cookies.
It basically helps the cookies set up without the high temperature in the oven for another few minutes. This way, the cookies are out of the oven and baking, you might say, on the hot sheet (WITH the cushion of parchment paper or silicone mat) for another 5 minutes. Most times, I just let the cookies completely cool ON the baking sheet instead of a cookie rack or paper towels.
(Are you on Pinterest? Because I know I am!)
Now that I’ve admitted to you my cookie-baking-obsession, I’ve actually come up with quite a few cookie recipes of my own that I’d love for you to try!
These are perfect for the chocolate lovers…
(Triple Chocolate Applesauce Cookies… because applesauce is healthy, right?)
Now, how about cookies made with a cake mix… talk about SUPER soft!
(July 4th Sprinkle Cookies are simply something to celebrate about!)
As promised, down below is the simple recipe to making amazing Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies. Make a batch tonight and share with your awesome milkman that leaves groceries on your front porch in the wee hours of sunrise. And, don’t forget about your amazing mail lady (or guy)! They love cookies, too! (Big Puffy heart <– inserted here!)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 yolk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and peanut butter until combined. Mix and cream in the sugars for about 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Scrap down the sides and mix in the egg, egg yolk and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Combine into the peanut butter mixture until you no longer see flour. (By not over-mixing, results in a more tender cookie!)
- Use a large cookie (also known as an ice cream) scoop (about 1/4 cup deep) with cookie dough and place the scoops on a covered baking sheet (with parchment paper or silicone baking mat) about 2 inches apart.
- Gently press each ball of cookie dough with a fork, making a crisscross pattern. Place in preheated oven and bake for 8-10 minutes. Immediately take out of oven when done and allow to let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes. Store in a closed container for up to 5 days and these cookies will stay soft!
- Makes about 18 cookies.
Psss… I’m sharing my Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter recipe with these link parties… come join me!