Sticky Lemon Sweet Rolls are surrounded with a creamy lemon filling and swirled around the inside folds of delicate homemade dough.
Sweet rolls are a favorite in our home and I can just bet they are with you, too!
How could you resist a sweet and delicate bread swirled with a lemon cream cheese filling… and smothered with more lemony cream cheese icing?
You simply can’t, I know.
Whenever my (oldest son) Levi calls to say he’s coming to stay for the night, you can already figure what I do next (besides the happy dance!)… I get right into the kitchen!
I make his favorite meal– for dinner AND he can’t leave without having his favorite breakfast!
(I just can’t help it, I’ve always been this way.)
Now, let’s not forget about the dessert!
Lemon has always been a favorite of Levi’s.
So, my mind instantly goes toward a lemon dessert. I didn’t have time to whip out the homemade lemon ice cream.
But, I did have time to make these Sticky Lemon Sweet Rolls!
Wrapped all up inside of this sticky bun creation is a sweet creamy lemon flavor. Fresh squeezed lemon juice is complimented with the creaminess of cream cheese and powdered sugar blended together into happiness.
The dough is melt-in-your-mouth delicious.
Put all of this together and you have lemon heaven!
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup really warm water (about 170 degrees)
- 1/2 cup milk, scalded (I use whole milk.)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups of bread flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar (add more if needed for thicker consistency.)
- zest of one lemon
- long piece of thread to cut the rolled dough.
- Prepare filling/icing first to set aside. Combine softened cream cheese, lemon juice, lemon zest (save some for garnish!), and powdered sugar. Depending how soft your cream cheese is, you may want to add more powdered sugar or set in refrigerator for a few minutes. You want a creamy, thin to medium spreadable texture.
- Scald milk and put in 4 tablespoons of butter. Set aside. The milk will cool before use.
- Combine yeast, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and very warm water in a small mixing bowl. Set aside in a nice and warm place for about 10-15 minutes. (A draft-free warm place is your microwave! Sit it in with a cup or bowl of hot water and just shut the door.)
- Once the yeast mixture has proofed, stir in the honey.
- Put one and a half cups of bread flour, sugar, and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the proofed yeast, milk mixture, and beaten egg into the flour mixture. Mix by hand or with a dough hook on low speed. Slowly add the rest of the flour while it is mixing. Keep mixing until the dough has pulled away from the sides of the bowl. Add additional flour one tablespoon at a time, if needed.
- Take dough out of the bowl and set onto a lightly floured surface. Allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes, covered. (This helps relax the gluten in the dough... therefor, making a tender texture.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out the dough (on the lightly floured surface) to a rectangle size of about 16 inches by 12 inches. And, about half an inch thick.
- Spread the 1/2 of the lemon cream cheese mixture on the rolled out dough, leaving about 1/2 inch away from the edges. Start with one of the long sides, tuck and roll the dough until you come to the very end. Make sure to have the last part of the flap onto the bottom to hold it together. Grab a long piece of thread and slice it up underneath the roll. Crisscross the thread while going down onto the dough. It will cut with out smashing the dough. Tip: Only use a knife to mark the top of the dough (to get even pieces) before using the thread.
- Place the rolled up pieces of dough into a covered baking pan (use parchment paper or silicone mat).
- Put in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes– on the bottom rack, as so they will cook more evenly and not brown on the tops so fast.
- Spread (or drizzle) the icing when the sweet rolls come immediately out of oven or when cooled.
- Garnish with more lemon zest.
- Makes about a dozen sweet rolls, depends on how flat you roll out your dough and cut into pieces.
You’d be amazed at how quick and easy these sticky sweet rolls are to put together!
When I was growing up, any kind of sweet roll making was an all day project! Not with this recipe.
Don’t let the homemade part intimidate you into making these.
Nor, the yeast action.
These are really fun to make and especially to share and enjoy!
In case you’re wondering if Levi devoured this baker’s dozen pan of sweet rolls….
The rest of the lemon action was all taken home on a piled high plate– along with his basket of clean laundry.
Two younger brothers waving good-bye from the curb as Brother drove away, not sad at all to see these sweet rolls leave.
Because, they knew I’d come in the house and replace them with their favorite… cinnamon rolls!
And, I did.
I just know they appreciate all of the love I put in everything I do for them… because they always come back to visit their momma after they’ve been on their own. They truly know what they always have…
Sharing a few of these Sticky Lemon Sweet Rolls with: Mommy Hates Cooking Tiny Sidekick Buns In My Oven Real Housemoms Place Of My Taste Crafty Wife Live Laugh Rowe Sweet Haute A Prudent Life Simply Sweets By Honeybee Design Dining and Diapers Nancherrow The Best Blog Recipes City Of Creative Dreams Made From Pinterest The Cards We Drew Cooking With Curls Chelsea’s Messy Apron Sewlicious Home Decor
Matt Robinson says
Lemon heaven, couldn’t put it any better myself. Lucky kid!
Matt Robinson recently posted…Mac-n-Cheese Stuffed Meatball Sandwiches
Julianne @ Beyond Frosting says
On a scale of 1-10 in terms of desire, this is about a 14! Please send to California. XOXO
Julianne @ Beyond Frosting recently posted…Bourbon Toasted Sâmores Milkshake
Chris @ Shared Appetite says
Oh my freaking goodness these look amazing! That lemon is calling my name! YUM!
Chris @ Shared Appetite recently posted…My Favorite Food Photography Gear
I need some lemon heaven!! You know my sweet roll addiction, Glorious Gloria!!! I would knock someone out and run with these babies!!
Paula recently posted…Individual Snickers Chocolate Layer Cake
Happy Valley Chow says
Mmmmm I will take one of these with my morning coffee please! Great job Gloria, they look beautiful 🙂
Happy Valley Chow recently posted…Strawberry Milkshake
You’re just killing me with these sweet rolls, Gloria, really! These look so sunny and gorgeous, not to mention soft and fluffy. I’ve got to make some! 🙂
marcie recently posted…Tropical Mango Pineapple Smoothie
Kelly - LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE says
Gloria, i’m right there with Levi, I always love a lemon dessert. ALWAYS! These truly look perfect. I recently have gotten over my irrational fear of yeast…ok i’m working on it I should say. Just made sweet rolls with my grandma a couple weeks ago. Her mom was the master of all masters at making them years ago (at least in my family 😉 ) Pinned this recipe for later, thanks dear! Hope you’re having a great Tuesday!
Kelly – LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE recently posted…Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Sundae
Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor says
These are my kind of sticky buns! Love that you included delicious lemon flavor. I can’t get enough of lemon no matter what time of the year!
Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor recently posted…Stitch Fix June 2014 Review
Tamara Colemwan says
My goodness these look so yummy! I love eating pastries and desserts with lemon I like the sweet & tart flavor combo!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet says
What if I call to say I am coming to stay too, does that mean I can have some of these? Lol! Gorgeous as always!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted…Berry Oreo Yogurt Popsicles
Serene @ House of Yumm says
Gloria, these look wonderful! I love anything Lemon. Your son Levi is one lucky kid, his favorite dinner and these for breakfast?! I would never leave!
Serene @ House of Yumm recently posted…Pink Lemonade Ice Cream
Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps says
I have a weakness for lemon! Seriously one of my favorite flavors! These look to die for!! !
Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps recently posted…Greek Pasta with Tomatoes, Wine and Feta + Pictures from Greece
No.. I definitely need to learn how to bake yeast rolls.. they look amazing, so soft.. and the filling is so lovely lemony 🙂
Medeja recently posted…Sviestiniai varškės sausainiai / Butter Cottage Cheese Cookies
Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg says
Lemon heaven for sure. These look incredible. Yum!
Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg recently posted…breakfast smoothie
Laura Dembowski says
These look like soft, comforting pillows of lemony goodness! How is it possible I haven’t made any form of sweet rolls in years? So craving these!
Laura Dembowski recently posted…Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream
Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes says
Oh my…these look amazing!!! And addicting!
Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes recently posted…Strawberry-Filled Patriotic Cupcakes
Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods says
Gloria, these look so delicious! I’d never be able to turn these down. Your such a sweet mom to make his favorites 😀
I love sweet rolls and for me the lemon makes these incredible! Pinning
Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods recently posted…Banana Walnut Bars
Oh my goodness Gloria, these do look like lemon heaven! All your stick rolls always leave me drooling but this one totally stole my heart. I am a huge sucker for lemon treats and if these were on the menu I would be doing the happy dance for life and never leave home again 🙂
Kelly recently posted…Coconut Pistachio Crusted Tilapia with Mango Salsa
I want one of these right now! I love all things lemon and that soft pillowy bread just looks stunning!
tahnycooks recently posted…Rhubarb Tart With Shortbread Crumbles
Lisa @ Cooking with Curls says
Aww, aren’t you a sweet mama! Can you adopt me? 😉 They look fluffy and delicious Gloria. I can see why Levi loved them so much!!
Lisa @ Cooking with Curls recently posted…Passion Tea Lemonade Popsicles
Laura O |Petite Allergy Treats says
These take me back to childhood! Of course, yours are WAY better since the one’s we ate were the horrible tube buns with the fake orange frosting. I can’t wait to try these!
Laura O |Petite Allergy Treats recently posted…Raspberry Bars Raw Vegan Gluten Free
Sherri@The Well Floured Kitchen says
These look amazing! Love the lemon twist on a traditional sticky bun. Perfect for summer.
Sherri@The Well Floured Kitchen recently posted…Dark Chocolate Crepes stuffed with Chocolate Raspberry Ganache and Kahlua Whipped Cream
This looks soo yummy! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams, starts on Fridays 😀 Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party.
Shanice recently posted…DIY Wedding Feature – Clutch Retouch
First, I love the name, Levi! Second, these look fabulous! I love lemony pastries, so I’ll have to give these a try soon. Your blog is not good for my hips! But thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded anyway!
Megan @ Our Pinteresting Family says
These look amazing!
Megan @ Our Pinteresting Family recently posted…Summer Wedding Gift Idea – Target Wedding Registry
Melissa @ Simply Sweets by Honeybee says
Before I got to the part about lemon heaven in your post I was already thinking heaven on a plate. I totally love lemon. I flavor my royal icing with lemon. It’s just the best flavor ever. Coconut is a close second. These look divine!
Melissa @ Simply Sweets by Honeybee recently posted…Red White & Blue Snack Mix
Congrats on being featured at our Wednesday Roundup Link Party! Your post is now pinned to our link party pinterest board!
Angela recently posted…Grilled Corn, Zucchini & Black Bean Enchiladas
Thank you for sharing this post at City of Creative Dream’s City of Links on Friday! I appreciate you taking the time to party with me. Hope to see you again this week 🙂
Shanice recently posted…Natural Bug Spray Away