A gooeyness of caramel and melted marshmallows all intertwined with popcorn… then rolled up in to a ball of absolute decadence!
These are also known as “Sticky Popcorn”. This is what my sister and I called it, growing up. It was always a special treat when we were younger. Now, my boys think it’s a special treat when I make it.
Each piece of the popped popcorn is covered inside and out with the creamy, caramel-y, marshmallow-y and sticky mixture. It stays sticky. It doesn’t get hard like some caramel popcorn. Just saying.
As you probably know by now, I don’t really use candy thermometers.
I like it simple.
So, with this recipe… no candy thermometer.
These Caramel Marshmallow Popcorn Balls are simple!
Have your popcorn already popped and off to the side in a large bowl. The largest bowl you have.
Place a large heavy duty sauce pan on medium high heat. Bring the granulated sugar, brown sugar, light corn syrup, water, cream of tartar, and butter to a boil. Whisk the mixture the whole time. With all the sugars going on in this, you don’t want it to burn.
After it has boiled for about 4 minutes, add 1 teaspoon of baking soda. You will then see the boiling action rising! Turn off burner and take the pan off the heat. Stir in the marshmallow until they have all melted.
Pour over the entire bowl of popcorn and stir. Allow it to cool for a bit to where you can start forming into balls.
Tip: When forming the sticky popcorn into balls, spray hands with non cooking spray. Or rub butter all over your hands like lotion! It help form it into a tight ball rather than all over your hands.
You could even skip the ball action and eat it straight out of the bowl!
Enjoy, my friends!
- 1 cup granulate sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon tartar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 13-14 cups popped popcorn
- Fill a large bowl with all of the popped popcorn and set off to the side.
- Place a large heavy duty sauce pan on medium high heat. Whisk the granulated sugar, brown sugar, light corn syrup, water, cream of tartar, and butter and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 4 minutes and add baking soda. Take off heat and stir in the marshmallows until melted through the mixture.
- Pour over the bowl of popped popcorn and stir until all coated.
- Allow to cool before forming into balls. (Or you could skip forming and eat straight out of bowl.)
- Store in an air tight container for up to 4 days at room temperature.
- Makes about 12 popcorn balls.
Want to stay updated with my latest creation?
Simply subscribe or Follow my blog with Bloglovin and every time I post something new…you’ll conveniently get it straight into your inbox!
** Caramel Marshmallow Popcorn Balls were featured with Pencilled Daydream: