Macaroni and cheese is about the number one dish I make weekly. (Sometimes, daily.)
When we go out to dinner and there’s mac & cheese on the menu, somehow my youngest thinks it’s a special treat to have a bowl of that kind made with the blue box. Especially when he finds a box in the back of the pantry…he acts as though he’s struck gold! (I have to admit- I like it, too!)
But, when you make macaroni and cheese from scratch, you could make so many varieties! The possibilities are endless.
This isn’t your “normal” cheddar macaroni and cheese. Creamy Havarti Jalapeno Macaroni and Cheese is for the one’s that can handle some heat…jalapeno HEAT!
And, I’m not just stopping with the fresh jalapenos…the pasta is swimming around in a creamy cheese sauce with two different hot pepper cheeses.
Well, let’s start with what you need to make this creamy-licious (spicy!) delight.
Do you seriously see all of these (hot) peppers inside of the havarti and pepper jack cheeses?!
Jalapenos are my best friends. As I shared on Instagram (below), my little Easton made this surprise breakfast for me. Needless to say, I think my son
assumes knows I eat jalapenos on almost everything!
Anywho…So, if you’re going to go “hot”, then why not have some cheeses with some heat to it, right? It’s not like the jalapenos don’t have enough heat in them as it is! But, we’re going to add more heat!
You may remember when I made the Naughty Fries with Pepper Jack Dipping Sauce. The sauce with those were made with only the pepper jack cheese. This time, I added some Havarti Cream Jalapeno Danish cheese! This sauce is very similar…just spicier! (You can usually find it in the deli by all the specialty cheeses.)
Start by warming up some butter, cream cheese, and heavy cream. I know, it’s not the healthiest. This is why I say creamy-licious!
Once the cream and cream cheese is all whisked and blended together, it’s the time for some melting greatness!
The Havarti cheese is SO creamy. And, with the blend of pepper jack, it is truly a friendship!
Pour the cheese sauce over some sliced (fresh) jalapenos and cooked pasta. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
I sprinkled some bread crumbs on top to have a little bit of crunch. This part is optional. (I used Panko bread crumbs.)
Here, just take a bite! It might be a wee-bit spicy. And, you’d try to resist that next bite you take…
…But, you can’t resist!
Your eyes might tear up a bit.
Keep going. It’s really not that bad.
Enjoy, my friends!
- 2 cups uncooked pasta, cooked to al dente (not all the way soft, it will finish cooking in the oven)
- 1-2 large jalapenos, sliced (pick seeds out to reduce the heat of them)
- 1 cup shredded (1/2 pound block) Havarti Cream Jalapeno cheese
- ¾ cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup heavy cream
- bread crumbs, optional (I used Panko bread crumbs.)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium size sauce pan on medium heat, melt butter. Add softened cream cheese and heavy cream. Whisk together until all blended and smooth. (Do not let it come to a boil.) Set aside and stir in the shredded cheeses. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour over al dente cooked pasta and sliced jalapenos. Stir until all combined.
- Put in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on top. (Optional)
- Bake for 20 minutes or until all golden on top.