The White Cream Sauce (also known as a Bechamel Sauce) is the Mother of all sauces. It is very universal. You can add any cheeses to melt into it for Alfredo sauce and mac & cheese. It all comes together with only 3 ingredients and under 10 minutes!
I make this basic cream sauce in a lot of my recipes…which I’m going to share with you very soon!
There’s a very simple process to start this exquisite sauce…
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter (the REAL stuff). Melt on medium-high heat in a sauce pan.
Once the butter is all melted, add 2 tablespoons of flour. And start whisking! Add about 1 to 2 teaspoons of salt and some pepper. If you’re using ‘salted butter’ you might not need that much to start off. Remember, you can always add a little more later…you just can’t take it back out.
Depending on what I’m pouring this sauce on–I like to sprinkle in some garlic and onion powder. Along with some Italian seasoning all into the flour and butter. The reason being, is because it intensifies and enhances the seasonings through the heat.
Whisk the butter-flour mixture (also known as a ‘Roux’) for about 2 minutes to cook the taste of flour out. Add 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, keep stirring. You’ll start seeing it thicken within about 1 minute. Therefore, add the other 1 cup (a total of 2 cups of heavy whipping cream) and keep stirring. The sauce will then start reheating back up and be thicker within 3-5 minutes. (Depends upon how your pan and burner kicks out the heat.)
When you get it to a creamy, thickened consistency, turn heat to low and stir in cheeses. Once melted, set aside. Make sure to do a taste test to see if you need more salt/pepper before serving.
Pour over your favorite pasta! Or even a baked potato…now THAT is heaven!
What is your favorite dish to indulge in with some creaminess bliss?
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (16 ounces)
- salt and pepper (to taste with your preference)
- (optional: 1 cup or more of your favorite cheese)
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan.
- Once butter is melted, add 2 tablespoons of flour and stir with a whisk to prevent any lumps.
- Add salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Pour 1 cup of heavy whipping cream into the butter-flour mixture and continue stirring. It will start thickening in less than 1 minute.
- Add the rest of the cream and stir.
- The sauce will then start reheating back up and be thicker within 3-5 minutes.
- Take off heat once thickened.
- (Optional: Stir in your favorite cheese to melt.)
- Pour over your favorite pasta!
- Makes 2 cups of Cream Sauce.